It’s no surprise that as summer is approaching, an iced, cold-brew coffee is the perfect drink to both cool down and stay energized. While we love to craft our own cup using Chameleon Cold-Brew Concentrates, recently, our favorite liquid-of-choice to add into the mix is the trendy, healthy and tasty dairy alternative: almond nut milk.
For those that still have a hard time wrapping your minds around the concept, let us break it down for you. If you soak nuts long enough—such as almonds, cashews, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts—a delicious milk substitute can easily be created. It may sound crazy, but the final product is delicious, and adds even more flavor to your already fueling brew.
How to Make Homemade Nut Milk
Soak: This is the most important step, as mentioned above. Choose your favorite nut and soak it thoroughly in filtered water. The time range on this varies, but anywhere from four hours to twelve.
Blend: After the nuts are fully soaked, place them in a blender and add any flavorings you may like (such as honey or vanilla extract!)
Strain: Okay, here comes some manual labor. Pour the blended nut milk into a bag and squeeze into a bowl, so that the pulp separates from the liquid.
Once this process is complete, you’re ready to enjoy! Make sure to dilute 4 ounces of your favorite cold-brew concentrate with 4 ounces of the nut milk. Stir together the final product and add a few ice cubes for a flavorful, cold fuel.
Ready to take your #MadeForMakers skill to the next level? Pair your favorite flavor of Chameleon Cold-Brew with a specialty almond nut milk, courtesy of Genuine Ginger:
1) Blueberry Almond Milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 Medjool Date
2) Turmeric Almond Milk
- 1-2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
3) Spirulina Protein Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons spirulina
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 2 Medjool dates, omit if your protein powder is sweetened
Instructions (for all three listed):
- Soak almonds in filtered water overnight for 8-12 hours.
- Discard soaking water and rinse your almonds.
- Add almonds, water and any additions to your blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth and frothy.
- Strain through a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer.
- Add to your Chameleon Cold-Brew and enjoy! If not served immediately, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Milk will separate, just give it a good shake or stir before serving.