Most people believe that cold brew only belongs in a mug or bottle with milk, collagen or your favorite booze mixed in. However, cold brew can become one of your greatest cooking assets in the kitchen and can add a buzz to almost every meal you make! We met with the chef at PRE Brands, Sarah Russo, to learn more about her tips for cooking meat and other foods with Chameleon Cold-Brew.
- When picking the best flavors to pair with steak, try to find flavors that are similar in strength and depth as the beef. Pairing steak with lighter flavors like citrus and oils are great, but you need stronger and more acidic flavors that enhance the beef and bring your taste buds to a whole new level! Use flavors like red wine, BBQ sauce, chilies, and warming spices: paprika, chili, cumin, and one of my favorite flavor enhancers for steak: cold brew coffee. Like steak, cold brew coffee is rich in flavor and its acidic nature makes an amazing tenderizer as well.
- Coffee can be used in its liquid form as a marinade, but you can also use it in the ground form as part of a rub. Either way, the flavor can’t be beat!
Form of Coffee: Ground & Liquid
- Coffee Grounds: You want to pick a finely ground bean that is fresh (within 14 days of roasting). The fresher the bean the better the flavor. I recommend grinding the beans yourself fresh at the grocery store or in a spice grinder at home (optimal). This ensures a fresh bold flavor. Otherwise, you might get a rancid or bitter coffee taste.
- Liquid Coffee: I recommend using the cold brewed version. Cold brewed coffee is naturally less acidic than regular brewed coffee which gives it a smooth taste. If using a flavored coffee, find other spices and flavors that pair well. In general, these are great pairing for coffee: citrus, brown sugar, butter, cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, garlic, nutmeg, onions, vanilla, and walnuts.
- Marinating is a great way to add flavor to the outside of your meat. However, marinades never penetrate meat all the way through, but it gives the outside a deep flavor that translates to every bite. For best practices, use a 2-step process:
- Dry brine your meat first. Salt is the only penetrable component, it will leave your meat with great flavor and consistency. Rub salt on all sides and let sit for 1 hour.
- Then let it sit in your marinade for up to 4 hours.
- Is longer marinating better? Not really. The higher the acid content the less time you should marinate your meat. For cold brew coffee, the ph level is about 5, so I recommend keep your steak in the marinade 1 hour with 4 hours being the max.
Sarah shared with us her favorite recipes using PRE Brands and Chameleon Cold-Brew for delicious meals at any time of the day.
Start your day strong with the perfect mix of sweet and salty, along with a cold brew kick! Our Maple Sausage Pancake Muffins are ideal for fueling you during busy, on-the-go mornings.
Spice up boring work lunches with a savory Marinated Steak Salad topped with Chameleon Cold-Brew vinaigrette. Fit in your daily greens without sacrificing flavor!
Whether you are making them for roommates, friends or family, our Cold Brew Smoked Texas Tacos are perfect for a customizable and self-served dinner that everyone will enjoy! Get creative with your toppings and drizzle our buzzy cold brew bbq sauce on top.
Show us your own kitchen creations using #MadeForMakers and #ChameleonColdBrew and follow us on Instagram. Keep on caffeinating!